BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, May 02, 2008

Out on the Porch Playing Washers....


Growing up in Texas was the greatest adventure. I will be the first to admit, I am extremely biased to what I refer to as the "Homeland". Welling with Pride for the Lone-Star State is an understatement for me. To say I love Texas... well that too is an understatement.

After I graduated from HSU in 98 (10 years ago...really?!?), I moved to Missouri to pursue my career as an athletic trainer. During the four years I lived in Missouri I was amazed at how the people of Missouri didn't swell with Missourian pride. The "Show-Me-State" was just that... skeptical to everything. Literally everyone would say..."show-me". They are a, "see it to believe it" kind of people. Nevertheless I really enjoyed living in Missouri and relish the opportunity to visit as often as I can.

So back to TEXAS! I am a sucker for Texas Country Music. I love the sounds of Robert Earl Keen, Jerry Jeff Walker, Pat Green, Corey Morrow, Kevin Fowler, Roger Creager, Casey Donahew Band, Randy Rogers Band (his little brother plays FB for us), Gary P. Nunn, Lyle Lovett, Aaron Watson (Amarillo/Abilene Boy!), and a whole host of others. The Ipod is always playing at the Gililland house. One of my favorite songs by Pat green is "I Like Texas". In the live version of the song, there is an additional verse and story about him and his roommates out on the front porch playing washers. Every time I here the word "washers", I think of Pat Green saying..."We were out on the porch playing washers." He talks about stop and go burritos from Allsups (growing up in White Deer that was a breakfast, lunch, dinner specialty for all the high school kids).

And I finally get to my point. I LOVE GRILLING OUT, LISTENING TO TEXAS COUNTRY MUSIC AND PLAYING WASHERS!!!! So last night... my beautiful wife and I made Bison Burgers (we're trying to keep it healthy), listened to Texas Country Music and played washers. We had so much fun, just the two of us. It was relaxing, we talked, laughed and competed! Great memories! I love spending time with my wife. I hope this becomes a weekly occurrence throughout the summer; grilling, music, washers, and precious time with my wife!

0 comments: